http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

18 November, 2004

noon

a hundred words. (my art director... "more than hundred, and it won't fit into the layout.") ...i'm paid to do that. write on demand, just so much, no more, whether or not i want to. which is why all i saw of noon was through the toilet window. i stared absently at the road, rain dampened, sun-warmed. once mills district, now office towers. cars. ties and filofaxes. cellphones. i’d rather be on a beach. or in the mountains... in my head, a noon siren went off. “new ad by lunch? cool. no sweat.” ah well. ah bloody well.

Published online long, long ago in The Noon Quilt, a trAce collaboration. The brief, as far as i recollect, was to look out of your window at noon, wherever in the world you were, and write up to a hundred words about what you saw. The editors then selected contributions which were worked into a virtual quilt. My "patch" in Quilt 1, row 2, column 4, top left - or cheat. A smaller selection from the online Noon Quilt were also pubished in book form somewhere at the very end of the last century, and this contribution made it in.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I like the absence of capitalization and absence of any worthwhile punctuation... just like thoughts floating out of your head. I didn't know stuff like that gets published; I should start collecting my emails.
Bravo!

18 November, 2004 21:10  
Blogger Annie Zaidi said...

I like the patch... should we attempt a quilt? Maybe begin with the message board (gets a wider response) and if its pretty, put it up on the blog?

19 November, 2004 15:05  
Blogger G Shrivastava said...

Interesting - I didn't know it was possible to get something of this sort published - its almost like a post-modernist stream of consciousness piece...or am I trying very hard to fit it into some kind of description?

Personally when someone asks me to sit down and write on "a" theme, with a word limit that I "must not" cross, and "must respect to the T" I balk, fumble, stumble and then my mind simply shuts down,refusing to produce anything worthwhile. Probably why I decided to steer clear of jounalism and copywriting...I admire the ability to write within constraints!

19 November, 2004 20:49  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page