http://worldwidehelp.blogspot.com .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
caferati
A collaboration over too much coffee.
coffee and pen

25 November, 2004

Interlude

I must set this down, I must. But I face
the problem of every vexed chronicler:
event erased by the fickler
tides of caprice. And so must base

this traveller’s tale on no more
than the scattered flotsam of a wreck,
the spars and bobbing bits of deck
that once briefly bore

our cargo. So here a book, bought
for someone else, now bearing
Eliot paraphrased in a caring
line of love; there, a medal fraught

with shared memories of ancient wars,
perfect gift for marchers of the mind –
on such are built the blind
buttresses of faith, a fool’s recourse.

But there is, beyond this sad detritus
of a voyage, against a baleful dawn,
your face whose image is all but gone.
And a magic moment or two that knit us.
***

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pragya said...

Very sadly poignant and beautiful! Especially liked, ..."scattered flotsam of a wreck,
the spars and bobbing bits of deck
that once briefly bore our cargo..", so much said with such imagery and poignancy!

Pragya

26 November, 2004 00:41  
Blogger Unknown said...

This one gets a tick for the rhyming scheme. I'm so glad that in this outpaced spree of free verse, the rhymers still rule.
Apart from rhyming passion, this poem belies another kind of passion, a painful one, depicting loss of someone dear, someone loved. Its very touching!
On a funnier note, I read the first two lines and was immediately transported back to Baker Stree, with Dr. Watson, perplexed on which of Holmes startling achievements to describe. :)

29 November, 2004 01:06  
Blogger SPECKLED_BAND said...

*grin* Raindanseuse - clever of you to spot the Baker Street bit, although that was far from my mind when I wrote the poem - but then again, my ID says it all :)

On a more serious note, I'm afraid I'm rather old-fashioned: I'm a classicist in that I believe in form and structure in poetry. All my poems rhyme - you might take a look at some of my other stuff elsewhere on this page :)

29 November, 2004 01:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Triste exquisitely executed...but
could we see something from the earlier (flowering) phase?

12 October, 2005 13:47  

Post a Comment

<< Front Page